Here is the basics of how I conceptualize the elements in the Tarot, through personal study and personal experience.
- WILL, passion, action/reactions, instinct - learned, light and life
- Common imagery: Bread of life, sun, lions, salamanders, volcanoes, light, warmth
- Hogwarts House: Gryffindor
- EMOTION, subtler energies, romance, patience, fun, friendship
- Common imagery: Water of life, ocean, moon, lakes, rivers, dolphins, other aquatic animals
- Hogwarts House: Hufflepuff
- MENTAL STATES, logic, seriousness, planning, belief systems, weathering the storm
- Common imagery: Sword of truth, breath of life, butterflies, crows/ravens, clouds
- Hogwarts House: Ravenclaw
- MORTALITY, family life, nature, the material world, work, comfort
- Common imagery: Salt of the earth, fruit, rams, snakes, cycles, mountains, land
- Hogwarts House: Slytherin
- MAJOR ARCANA
- Interplay between our souls and dense matter, following our Hearts, our purpose, virtue and values,
- Common imagery: the infinite symbol, crowns, bridges, books, roses and lilies, stars, radiance
- All that was, is, will be, and ever could be; worlds within worlds
- Intuition, connection, love
- Typically water is seen as the intuitive suit, but in my experience in working with the elements all the elements involve the spiritual ability of intuition. The difference is in how it's being expressed.
- All the suits and arcana deal with concepts of connection and love. All of the elements are interconnected. One cannot exist without the others.